Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Give It a Little Tappy...Tap, Tap, Taparoo

Ever have a melody stuck in your head and can't figure out what song it is? Well, you must try The Song Tapper. Basically, it's as easy as tapping the rhythm of the song on your keyboard's spacebar. The site suggests humming out loud so you make sure to tap each syllable you hear. I tried tapping a couple different songs and had my results in less than a minute...each time, my song did show up on the list, if not as the first match. If you are not good at tapping well then, sorry...you might be SOL.

They also give you the option of listening to a midi of your tapped song afterwards. However, at first you may not even recognize the song you tapped! That's because it comes out sounding very monotone; it is only recording the taps themselves. However, if you pay attention to just the rhythm, you can hear it.

One of my tries was "Happy Birthday" (I wanted to pick something with a fairly simple rhythm). If you wish, you can listen to my tapping here. If it doesn't open for you, you might have to right-click and Save As, before opening in an external application.

No comments: