Sunday, May 20, 2007

Philly Rock Radio Gets A New Contender

I still miss the days of WDRE (103.9). That's when I had to tape my favorite songs from the radio onto cassettes....I had various mix tapes in my collection. Here's a little tidbit for you too...Pearl Jam's "Alive" was the first (and last) song played on WDRE. You can hear the dramatic sign-off from "Bitterfest" here.

Thank God for WMMR (93.3) and WXPN (88.5) -- which features "Y-Rock" for fans of the former Y100 (still bitter about that one). Now, there's a new radio station for the Philadelphia-area listeners. It's at 104.5 on the frequency and professes to be entirely listener-controlled. So far, I like what I hear, with regards to the music. I don't know about the creativity though...It's actually called "Radio 104.5." I've been listening to it off and on while driving my car this week. I heard Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter" on it, so that's a plus. Just before the change-over, it was a Spanish station. However, I remember while I was growing up it was a pop/soft-rock station....wasn't it Sunny 104.5? Anyone?

Anyway, this new listener-driven 104.5 is yet another Clear Channel creation (surprise, surprise). I wonder how long it will take for them to jerk this one away or change it to a more pop-friendly theme.

In any event, I hope this one stays awhile. You can also listen online, so check it out, and tell me what you think!

No comments: