Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Inappropriate

So, last night at work I was tutoring a 2nd grader in Math. We were doing word/story problems and we came upon one that talked about "rock music tapes." To this, my student replies, "Cool...rock music." I said, "Oh, so you like rock music?" He says, "Yeah, but I can't talk about my favorite band."

Well this clearly piques my curiosity, so I question a little further, wondering what his favorite band is and why he can't talk about them...The dialogue goes like this:

Me: Why can't you talk about them?

Him: Well, because they're inappropriate.

Me: Oh...It's okay though...you can at least tell me the name of the band.

Him: It's the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
At this point, I'm laughing inside because it's definitely an odd choice for an 8-year-old, and I'm figuring he probably knows them from his parents.
Me: Oh, I know the Red Hot Chili Peppers...I like them too.

Him: (wide-eyed, smiling) You do?!

Me: Yes, but tell me why you called them inappropriate.

Him: Well, because in their songs they talk about girls and stuff so I didn't think I should talk about them.

Me: I guess your parents know you like them, right?...Do they listen to them too?

Him: Well, they know...and my Dad also likes them. [I think he also muttered something about listening to them with his Dad in the car.]

Me: Okay....let's get back to work.
Such is my life working with kids. They crack me up. You never know what they're going to say or connect to next, which is half the fun of teaching.

No comments: