Monday, August 07, 2006

A No-Work Monday / Decisions on My Plate

I slept in today for the first Monday since starting my summer camp job back in June and it felt good. No, I didn't play hooky today; camp is over for the summer. We all said our goodbyes on Friday. Now, onto the next phase of my life...decision-making time.

Well, I have already decided I will not be a Sub for another year...As a teacher, I want my own space. I don't want to be a guest anymore. When you have a taste of something that is all yours, and then you need to give it up, it is hard to accept. I want to play by my rules again, not by someone else's.


So, what does this mean for me? Well, first and foremost, I will find a job doing something else in the meantime. I have also spent a lot of time thinking about pursuing my Master's Degree. It was always something I planned to do...it was just figuring out the what, where, and when. My Master's Degree will not necessarily be in Education, however. I considered getting my certification in Special Education--which is still a possibility. But, I am also strongly realizing a want to pursue a Master's of Science in Psychology (after all, Psych was my intended major in my Undergraduate studies before deciding on Education).


Right now, I am looking at a program that would ultimately lead to a career working in Psychological research, wherein I would like to specialize in Developmental Psychology. I don't, necessarily, want to be a Clinical Psychologist where I would actually see patients and provide therapy (but who knows?...that could change!) At the present time, I am more interested in the research end of it...so we will see. The program also requires a Master's thesis, which would then prepare me for a Doctorate program, if I so choose.
So, yeah, I've got a lot of thinking to do...I wish I could blink my eyes and the decisions would appear before me. Where is Jeannie when you need her?

No comments: