Friday, February 09, 2007

Eddie Vedder to Sing With The Doors Again?

The Doors were inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame back in 1993. Eddie Vedder filled in for the late Jim Morrison at the induction ceremony, singing three songs (Roadhouse Blues, Break on Through, & Light My Fire) with the remaining band members. I happen to have the audio of this performance on an old Pearl Jam bootleg CD that I've had for more than 10 years now. At the time I first heard the Vedder-led Doors songs, I remember thinking how much he sounded like Jim Morrison. In my opinion, he did a great job covering the songs by paying homage to Morrison without copying his exact style.

There are now rumors of a 40th anniversary Doors reunion this year, even though two remaining band members (Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek) have already been performing under the name The Doors of the 21st Century, led by singer Ian Astbury (of The Cult). Apparently, drummer John Densmore would not participate in the collaboration with Astbury, seemingly because he doesn't feel Astbury lives up to Jim Morrison's standard. Well, that's how I took it after reading an article from Starpulse. Read for yourself...see what you think.

However, Densmore had only compliments for Eddie Vedder (after working with him in the past) saying that the reunion would be possible if Vedder signed on to the project.

"Eddie Vedder? My God, there's a singer."
~Doors drummer, John Densmore

So, who knows what will happen? I would love to see this collaboration take place, being a fan of both The Doors and Eddie Vedder [Pearl Jam].

If you haven't ever heard Eddie Vedder's peformance with The Doors at the RnR Hall of Fame induction ceremony, here are videos of two of the songs:

Break On Through




Light My Fire

No comments: